In most relationships, selfishness is a result of over self-obsession. To maintain the sanctity of a relationship and make it work in the long run, it is important to learn how to be less selfish in a relationship.
When one partner chooses to show signs of unhealthy self preservations, it often leads to them becoming the selfish one out of the two. It can also originate from complexes and behavioral issues. People tend to build and protect themselves, which can often compel them to cross the boundary and show signs of selfishness.
Here are a few anecdotes and ways to help one out to save their relationship by learning how to be less selfish.
How To Be Less Selfish?
- Communication is the key to any relationship. If there are insecurities and things that bother someone out of which they tend to show signs of selfishness, it is important for them to have tête-à-tête with their better half. It is important to build a relationship out of loyalty, trust, love, and care, which is only possible when there is a free, unfiltered flow of communication between the two.
- It is important to become self-aware. Selfishness usually tends to emanate out of lack of self-confidence, self-pity, upbringing, and other experiences one faces over the course of their life. To overcome this, meditation, self-awareness, and evaluating oneself is very important to understand more about their virtues and vices.
- Differences in a relationship in terms of likes want, desires, habits, hobbies, interests, and more can also result in the selfishness of one partner and may get the better of them. Discussing, planning, giving enough attention to each other’s likes and dislikes, ensuring each other’s concerns are taken into account then becomes very important.
- As much as it is important for a person to voice their opinions and put forth their beliefs and judgments, it is equally important to lend ears to the other person as well. Consideration should be paid to the other person in order to understand a point of view from their perspective. Their viewpoint over a subject should also be taken into account no matter how contradicting it maybe sometimes.
- It is important to create a healthy balance in a relationship for it to flourish. Needs should be fulfilled by both the partners, equally. Even if there is a tiny, minuscule fact that makes the other partner happy, it should be regarded with enough enthusiasm and excitement. It is important to empathize with the partner. No impulsive or hasty decisions should be made without considering the viewpoints of the other partner.
While practicing the above-mentioned steps and guides, it is important to not lose oneself in the process. As much as it is important to show love and concern for others, it is also important to love ourselves first, as long as it is in an appropriate and healthy amount.
After cracking the code of self-love, it is further important to ensure that one shares enough, if not the same, love with their partner as well. It is never too late to change self-centered love into mutual love.
Leave a Reply