Two very popular and trendy health diets, when done together, are bound to give amazing and successful results. The two hottest health trends discussed in today’s article are the keto diet and Intermittent fasting, and how to break an intermittent fast while on a keto diet.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is when the faster alternates between a cycle of fasting and eating. Usually, a 16:8 bracket is chosen, where the fasting period is about 16 hours and the eating window is about 8 hours.
There are no limitations or obligations when it comes to choosing the time frame to follow the above-mentioned cycle.
Other forms of intermittent fasting include restricting the calorie intake to 500 Kcal for two days of the week and having a normal diet through the other 5 days. People can also practice fasting for 24 hours, for a maximum of 2 days a week.
In intermittent fasting, the faster is allowed to take water and other calorie-deficit drinks like green tea or plain black coffee, without any other additives to it.
What is a Keto Diet?
Keto diet is a high-fat and low-carbohydrate diet. It helps in improving the overall health of the person, and assists in the fast reduction of weight. The drastic reduction in carbohydrates and its substitution with healthy fats puts the body in a state of ketosis.
When the keto diet is coupled with intermittent fasting, it accelerates the process of weight-loss. It helps the body reach the ketosis state in a jiffy, and helps in losing the harmful fat stored in the body.
In a keto diet, the calorie and the nutrient intake is broken down in such a manner so that the net carbs remain under 20 grams per day. To accelerate the effects of a ketogenic diet, practitioners should remain under their carb limit, follow a calorie deficit diet, have ample protein to satiate themselves, and consume food that is high in fat content.
Keto diet is a better and proven alternative to many other diets. It aids in weight loss, and treats medical disorders and conditions. Scientifically speaking, when a body enters into the process of ketosis, due to low intake of carbohydrates, the body starts burning the stored body fats, instead of glycogen.
Fats and proteins are the constituent dietary intakes while following a keto diet. Since both fats and proteins are rich in nutrients and moderately high in calories, they keep the body feeling fuller for a long period of time, and gradually regulates the appetite.
One drawback of following the keto diet is that not enough studies have been conducted on its long-term effects. It does help the body to eat fewer calories, hence lose the extra pounds. Whether it does something to the body at a whole new level is a question that still remains unanswered.
Healthy Fats Vs. Unhealthy Fats
When the body enters a state of ketosis, it burns the stored fat, as well as the fat which is consumed throughout the diet.
Fats are usually calorie-dense. Therefore, even while following a keto diet, mindful eating is a must. Binge eating habits and indulging in food that is high in calories and fails to provide the vital nutrients will do more harm than good. Fats are used as the source of energy while the body is in ketosis. Hence, it is very important to feed the body the right kind of fats.
Between saturated and polyunsaturated fats, the diet should include the latter. Polyunsaturated fats are a healthy form of fat, and since the body cannot manufacture this fat on its own, it is important to obtain them through food. They are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that facilitate the proper functioning of the brain.
Foods that are rich in polyunsaturated fat content include different kinds of grass-fed meat, fish fat from salmon, anchovies, sardines, etc. They are also abundant in seeds and different types of nuts.
It is crucial to control the amount of fat consumed by the body, even during a keto diet. It should depend on factors like the body’s daily calorie intake, the current weight, and the goal which the practitioner is aiming for, be it losing weight or gaining weight through keto. It is important to feel satisfied and satiated after having a meal and not make the body feel stuffed by overindulging.
How To Break An Intermittent Fast
In order to get the potential benefits from combining the two diets together, it is important to know how to break an intermittent fast. It should be done in the proper way, with the right kind of keto-friendly food. Here are some ways to do it:
- It is very crucial to stay hydrated while in the fasting period.
- The fast should be broken with a keto-approved fruit such as watermelons, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, etc.
- The next meal should be high in protein and fat and should have a very low count of carbohydrates.
- The meal can be paired with a keto proof coffee.
- Protein such as sausages, ground beef, bacon, chicken, turkey, and eggs must be used.
- Dairy items and different kinds of cheese with high-fat content can be used.
- Saturated and healthy fats such as coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and sesame oil should be used in meals.
- Vegetables such as green pepper, onions, celery, tomatoes, and spinach that have a low carb content can be used.
Fun Keto-Friendly Meal Options
With all the carbs cut out, cooking guilt-free meals while following a keto diet can be a tricky task. Here are a few enjoyable and easy keto-friendly meal options that one can spend their days devouring, proving that keto can be fun too!
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla essence
- In a blender, add all the ingredients and blend them until a smooth consistency is obtained.
- Heat up a non-stick pan and butter the surface.
- Pour the mixture onto the pan.
- The size of the pancakes should be easy to flip without breaking.
- Cook the pancakes on low heat.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, when the edges are firm enough and the surface of the pancake becomes brown, flip it.
- Cook the other side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with keto-approved syrup!
- Chocolate Brownies
- Dark chocolate
- Almond flour
- Cocoa powder
- Espresso powder
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Low-calorie sweetener
- Preheat the oven at 375°F.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together, in a microwave, and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs well and incorporate the melted chocolate into the eggs, while mixing it.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the egg-chocolate mixture.
- Mix well until well combined, without any lumps.
- Grease a baking pan with butter.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes.
- A crispy layer should be formed on the side and the centers should remain gooey, fudgy, and moist.
- Serve fresh with a cup of bullet-proof coffee.
- Mac And Cheese
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Cauliflower florets(pasta substitute)
- Boil the cauliflower florets in water along with some salt, till tender and cooked.
- In a pan, add a good amount of butter.
- Add the boiled cauliflower to the pan and saute until brown and toasted.
- Add pepper or any other seasoning as per choice.
- In another pan, combine the cheese and heavy cream together.
- Cook it along with some salt and pepper to obtain a smooth, sauce-like consistency.
- Add the sauce to the cauliflowers and mix it well.
- Add cheese on the top and bake it till it turns golden brown.
- Serve with some freshly chopped parsley on the top!
- Soft Pretzels
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
- Melt the mozzarella and cream cheese together and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the cheese concoction along with an egg.
- Stir all the ingredients well.
- Take the mixture out of the bowl on a clean surface and knead it.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts.
- Shape each part into the shape of a pretzel.
- Brush the pretzel-shaped doughs with an egg wash.
- Season it with salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 15 to 16 minutes at 350°F.
- Serve as a snack with a favorite dipping sauce!
With all the fasting, accompanied with the keto diet, it is never a bad idea to treat oneself with one of these amazing healthy alternatives!
These are two of the most strenuous and demanding diets. When coupled together, it will require all the more patience and diligence. Due to a lot of factors, it is also possible that they may or may not work for some people. It is recommended to the dieters to conduct a well and thorough research about its benefits and drawbacks, and clear out any misinformation before implementing it.
Leave a Reply