The idea of doing yoga on the beach is not everyone’s cup of tea. But, occasionally, swapping the conventional yoga studios with the warm sand along with the gentle sound of the waves and the relaxing sea breeze doesn’t sound like a bad idea.
The whole concept of mixing yoga along with spending time in nature is a great source of vitality and balances the human mind and the soul.
Before proceeding to learn about the different ways on how to do yoga on the beach, let us look at some of the advantageous and perks of working out and meditating at the beach:
Benefits of Doing Yoga on the Beach
Yoga helps in more ways that one can anticipate. It offers perks, more than just boosting our energy and making us physically and mentally fit and healthy. Let us have a look at a few of them:
- Practicing yoga on the beach means that there is ample room for free movement and attaining different poses with the utmost comfort of space. People can freely attain different asanas and engage their cores along with energizing and invigorating their senses, mind, and soul. Anywhere from 20 minutes to up to an hour of practicing yoga on the beach can enable the yogi to reach a state of spiritual enlightenment.
- Exercising in the open, especially near a serene water body has proven to be a highly instrumental view of increasing energy in the body, relieving it of stress and tension, and instilling about a sense of happiness and prosperity. People who work outdoors tend to receive a higher supply of oxygen in comparison to those who choose to work or practice yoga, confined without four walls of their house or studios.
- The atmosphere around the beach is always clean and fresh. This means that there is no risk of inhaling any harmful gases while practicing something as tranquil and serene as yoga. Along with inhaling an abundance of clean, purified oxygen, the lungs and the other vital organs of the human body go into a state of self-cleansing. The metabolism strengthens and the levels of serotonin produced in the human body increase which eventually keeps the person happy and contended.
- Working out on the sand is a great way of transforming the bodies into a fitter and healthier version. It helps in toning the body while being fun and exciting at the same time. More than physical fitness, spending time outdoors has proven to mitigate the risk of anxiety, depression and provide inner peace to the mind. Since sand offers much more resistance in comparison to a concrete surface, the workouts are always going to be more intensive and fetch better and quicker results. It also acts as a shock-absorbent, reducing the risk of causing knee injuries in the long run.
- Along with toned muscles, a flexible body and a calmer mind, the body also gets its required amount of vitamin D. Vitamin D is very important for the healthy development of the bones and also protects the body from various diseases and infections. So, the sound of the water waves will not only set a meditative tone for the mind but will also improve the body in more ways imaginable.
How to do Yoga on the Beach?
While investing the mind and the body into something as disciplinary and lucrative as yoga, it is important to do it in the right fashion and manner so as to get the maximum results out of it. Here are a few tips on how to do yoga on the beach:
- The sky’s the limit when it comes to attaining asanas and positions at a beach, which would be quite difficult to do while in an enclosed space. There is a wide pool of choices when it comes to different yoga poses that can be brought into effect while at the beach. Asanas that may pose a threat to sensitive knees or require a more cushioned surface can be comfortably done at the beach. Some of the recommended poses are- Crescent Lunge, Dancer’s Pose, Pigeon with Backbend, Prayer Twist Lunge, Downward Dog, and more.
- It is important to choose the right time and the right temperature to have a more effective yoga session while at the beach. The temperature should be suitable for the body, without being either too warm or too cold. Usually, early mornings or evenings are considered as an appropriate time to have a yoga practice at the beach.
- Yoga means putting the body in positions and asanas which require utmost balance and precision. Due to this reason, it is important to choose a space at the beach which is less crowded and has ample open space, without any obstructions. The texture of the sand should be ideal and must provide enough cushion and resistance to the yogi while attaining a balance. Any concrete, hard object that may most likely cause injuries should be removed out of the area and the yogis should be comfortable enough to practice yoga without attracting a lot of eyes.
- It is always better to come well-researched and well-prepared and with a set of routine that the yogi can follow on the beach, without any distractions. A set of different kinds of standing poses and sitting poses can be mixed and formed so that the level of excitement and enthusiasm to do something new prevails. It will also allow the body to connect with nature and eventually form an association with the universe, which is the overall motive of yoga.
- The body should be warmed up by taking a small stroll along the beach. The practitioners are advised to not eat anything heavy before doing yoga so as to avoid the risk of indigestion. All the essentials must be carried. Ample of sunscreen must be slathered all over the exposed areas of the body. A bottle of water, good shoes, comfortable attire, and the will to have a productive yoga session must be carried to the beach.
Yoga Essentials to Carry to the Beach
Here are some must-have essentials that every yogi must carry to the beach to have a fruitful yoga session.
- Available in 5 exciting color options such as black, blue, pink, red, and grey.
- The mats are made out of 100% NBR foam that makes it of top-grade quality, highly flexible, and functional.
- They can be comfortably used on the beached to practice yoga on, do pilates, or do any other form of exercise.
- The thick texture of the mat provides enough cushion to balance and maintain yoga postures.
- The dimensions of the mat are around 74 x 24 x 0.5 inches. They are foldable and lightweight which makes it easy to carry around.
- These yoga stretch straps come with 12 loops and are made out of nylon. They can be sued to transform the body into different asanas and positions.
- They are mostly used to warm up the body, relax the muscles, stretch the core, and prepare the body to become strong and flexible in the long run.
- The loops on the strap comfortable sit on the wrist and around the feet, preventing any risk of causing bodily injuries.
- The straps are 8 feet long and 1.57 inches wide, which makes it highly suitable to be used by both beginners and professionals.
- A must-have pair of socks to prevent the body from slipping and getting injured while at the beach.
- The socks are made out of cotton that makes it breathable, comfortable, and sweat-absorbent. It can be worn for a long period of time without feeling itchy or uncomfortable.
- Women with a shoe size of 5.5 to 7.5 can wear it. They are stretchable, making it suitable to fit a variety of foot sizes.
- The bottom of the sock is made of a non-slip point. They can be worn at multiple places and for different purposes.
- A pack of 4 blocks in an exciting purple color.
- These blocks are used to maintaining balance while performing different asanas and for the proper alignment of the body.
- The surfaces of the blocks are slip-resistant that keeps the body secure and helps to form a steady and comfortable grip.
- The best part about these blocks is that they are lightweight and can be easily carried to the beaches.
- They are multi-purpose and can also be used to sit on. Each block measures around 4x9x6 inches.
- This water bottle has a capacity of around 21 ounces, great to carry to the beaches.
- They come in a variety of exciting color options like frosted pink, clear grey, transparent blue, and more.
- They are leakproof and can hold fruits and ice cubes to make a fresh bottle of detox water.
- The shatterproof exterior of the bottle makes it sturdy, easy to travel with, and highly functional.
- They are lightweight and can easily fit into any bag.
Practicing yoga on the beach makes the body stable and amplifies the personal health of the person. Different attributes of the beach are incorporated into the practice of yoga that brings about a sense of calm and relaxation to the body. The sound of the water waves, the smell of the sand, the warmth of the sun and the crisp air around is highly beneficial and allows the body to reach a state of focus and clarity.